The Public Landing is housed
in the historic Gaylord Building (1838).
The building played a vital role
in one of the greatest enterprises of the
19th century: the digging of the 96 mile long
Illinois & Michigan Canal.
The Gaylord Building is one of 29
National Trust Historic Sites
and is on the National Register
of Historic Places.
The handsome warehouse was the construction depot
for the Canal, which linked
Lake Michigan with the Illinois River,
opening the Midwest to commerce and industry.
In 1987 the Gaylord Building
opened to the public,
featuring The Public Landing
in addition to the adjacent museum
and art gallery.
Friends of the Public Landing
Local area points of interest and information (Click to learn more).
Gallery Seven Art Gallery
The Gaylord Building
Will County Historical Society
City of Lockport
Philip Lynch Theatre
Rialto Square Theatre
WGN's Chicago's Best